Most of us are all too familiar with the amazing health benefits that coconut oil has to offer us, but did you know that coconut oil is just as beneficial to your dog or cat’s overall health and well-being?
Coconut oil contains lauric acid which makes up 50% of fatty acids in coconut oil. Once the lauric acid is ingested it forms a substance called monolaurin. Together lauric acid and monolaurin have been shown to help eliminate harmful pathogens, including bacteria, viruses and fungi. This makes coconut oil your ultimate antibacterial and antiviral healing oil to use both topically and internally on your pet.
We would like to share some ways that coconut oil can benefit your pet and perhaps resolve some niggling pet health issues that you never thought this miracle oil could help with!
The top 10 ways coconut oil can help your pet!
- Skin health – By massaging coconut oil into your pet’s skin at least once a week, you could help relieve itchy allergy prone skin like eczema and hot spots. Coconut oil will also add to the condition of your pet’s coat by making it appear more glossy and healthy
- Coconut oil prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections
- Use coconut oil on your pet’s wounds to help them heal quickly
- Digestion – Coconut oil can help with nutrient absorption
- If you pet has a bad cough, coconut oil can help. As mentioned it helps eliminate harmful bacteria
- Pet Diabetes – Coconut oil can help prevent and control diabetes in pets
- If your pet is slightly overweight, the oil can assist with weight loss
- Arthritis and painful joints – the healing oil can aid current and prevent ligament issues later in life
- Pet allergies – Coconut oil may help reduce allergies that your pet might be battling with
- Coconut oil is excellent to use as a natural toothpaste to clean your pet’s teeth and improve bad breath. CLICK HERE to see just how beneficial good oral hygiene is for your pet and receive a FREE Natural Toothpaste Recipe for Pets! You are welcome!
How much coconut oil should I give to my pet?
In pets we suggest a “start off slow then increase” approach with coconut oil. Too much coconut oil initially can result in diarrhoea and greasy stools.
- Small to Medium size pets – start off by giving your small to medium sized pet ¼ teaspoon of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. After about a month you could then increase this amount to 1 full teaspoon.
- Large pets – We recommend starting off by giving your large pet 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, then after a month it can be increased to 1 full tablespoon.
I am sure that after reading this you can’t wait to start contributing to your pet’s health with coconut oil?! If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are always here to help in the best natural way!