While we may think of our beloved furry companions as being completely domesticated, they are nevertheless still animal hunters and carnivores by nature. Believe or not but our dog’s digestive system is almost identical to that of their wolf ancestors despite thousands of years of domestication!
Dogs have a very short intestinal tract, which has been genetically designed for the consumption and digestion of raw food. Dogs are considered omnivores as they eat meat as well as plants, berries and vegetables while cats are obligate carnivores, which mean they have to eat meat for their dietary requirements and are instinctively designed by nature to hunt for small prey such as birds, insects and rodents. As a result, a cat’s digestive system is also geared towards ingesting raw meats. Animals in the wild also benefit from partially digested vegetable matter in the stomachs of their prey, so a combination of meat and vegetables, fruits and a few grains is the most natural way of feeding dogs and cats. With this in mind, it’s natural to consider how a raw food diet might be in our pets’ best interest.
What are the benefits of a raw food diet for cat and dog?
- Studies have shown how a fresh raw food diet offers a better availability of nutrients for the animal’s body to assimilate for optimal functioning.
- Raw food diets have shown to help our pets better overcome many common ailments including hot spots, flea problems, allergies, continual shedding, poor dental and gum health, gastro-intestinal problems, degenerative diseases and immune disorders.
- There has been some controversy over the benefits of introducing a raw food diet to one’s pet for fear of parasites, e coli and salmonella. It’s important to remember that our pets are genetically designed to handle raw meat and in terms of parasites, while they can be contracted in the wild, with properly handled human-grade meat, infection is less likely.
- If you are planning on changing your pet to a raw food diet, it’s important to do so gradually over a two week period as your pet’s digestive system needs time to adjust. Initially, some pets might experience symptoms such as diarrhea and/or constipation so it’s important to only introduce a small amount of raw food together with their regular diet initially, adding more and more with each meal.
- Use natural remedies such as Digestive Support to promote healthy digestive functioning in your pet as well as Immunity & Liver Support to strengthen your pet's immune system.
- Add Vondi's Multi-Vitamin Food Supplement for dogs and Cats which is an excellent daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement for pets. It fulfils specific mineral & vitamin requirements often missing in processed foods and supports healthy digestion & immunity & strengthens bones
Vondi's offers cooked food for dogs and cats which contains meat, grains, veggies, freshly picked herbs, olive oil and freshly picked herbs.
DoggoBone Raw Food for dogs contains meat, veggies, fruit, herbs, essential vitamins and minerals.
Come visit us TODAY – we would love to see you!