Just like humans, pets use tears to flush dirt and debris out of their eyes. However, because pets also have fur on their faces, tears sometimes aren't enough, especially if there is an allergic reaction or infection.
Eye cleansers help the tears clean the eyes in these circumstances. Certain breeds of cats and dogs are more prone to teary, watery, itchy eyes, especially breeds that tend to have folds in their faces like bulldogs and pugs for example or pets that have lots of thick fur. If your pet is suffering from a condition that affects their eyes, you can use this simple solution to clean the eyes two or three times daily. If infected eyes do not clear up after a week or so then you might need to seek further help from your local vet.
What you need
- 200ml purified water – preferably boiled then cooled down to a warm temperature
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt or non-iodized table salt
- Organic cotton swabs
Chamomile or Rooibos tea bag – Both have strong healing properties and are proven to be hypoallergenic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial so they will boost the healing properties of your pet eye cleanser solution.
- Stir the water until the salt is dissolved
- If you are adding chamomile or rooibos then add the tea bag to the water and salt mix – allow it to steep for approx. 15 minutes
- Gently wipe your pet’s eye area with the soaked up cotton swab until all debris is removed and the cotton swab is clear. Make sure you use a new swab for each eye!
- You can also drop 4 drops of the above mixture directly into your pet’s eyes. They might not like it but it will cleanse and clean their eyes really well ☺
If you are not the DIY type then Feelgood Pets has a wide selection of products to help with infected eyes like Natura Pets Eye Cleanser. All are made with 100% pure natural ingredients to help pets who battle with teary eyes especially during high allergy seasons.
As you can well imagine, there is nothing more irritating that having itchy skin especially around the eye area. Just like you, your pet’s eyes are very valuable to them, so do your best to keep them healthy, teary and itch free! For questions and comments please contact us!