Feelgood Pets

Toxic, harmful foods that you should NEVER feed your fur baby!

never feed your pets these foods beverages substances toxic harmful dangerous

Surprising foods that are toxic and harmful for your dogs and cats

There's nothing nicer, as a fur parent, than sharing your delicious food with your pooch or kitty. Of course you want to spoil them and make them the happiest fur baby ever! But you may not realise that treating them to certain foods can actually cause damage and even death! Dogs and cats' digestive systems are different to ours, meaning that some foods that are healthy for humans, can be toxic and dangerous for your pet. It's important to be aware of the foods that are harmful to your dog or cat so that you know not to give it to them.

If your pet has consumed any of the foods listed below, please take them to the vet immediately so that they can be treated accordingly!

Cats

Alcohol

Foods or beverages that contain alcohol are highly dangerous to your cat's system! If your cat happens to ingest alcohol, it may result in vomiting, diarrhea, trouble breathing, tremors, a coma or even death. The severity of your cat's reaction to alcohol depends on the percentage of alcohol contained in the substance; the higher alcohol content, the higher risk of serious damage! So if you were wondering whether or not to 'treat' your kitty to a sip of beer or wine, DON'T! Please be aware that raw dough, if ingested by cats, also produces ethanol in their body and will result in the same negative effects.

Chocolate and caffeine

While humans can enjoy a slab of chocolate (in moderation, of course), it can be lethal to cats, especially (but not limited to) when consuming dark chocolate. Most pet owners are aware that chocolate should never be fed to dogs, however, it is actually more toxic to a cat's body! Chocolate contains an alkaline compound called theobromine which is easily metabolized by humans, but not cats. Theobromine stays in cats' bodies for up to 24 hours and because the body cannot clear it out, the toxic build-up leads to illness and sometimes death. Consequences of your cat ingesting chocolate are increased heart rate, drop in blood pressure, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, seizures, tremors, coma or heart failure.

Dairy

Raise your hand if you thought feeding your cat a saucer of creamy milk was spoiling them.. A scary fact is that most people will raise their hand to that question! While your kitty may adore lapping up milk, it's actually much better to feed them good old fashioned water. In order for any person or animal to consume milk, their digestive systems must contain the enzyme lactase. Of course cats were born with the ability to metabolize dairy in order to feed off their mother's milk, but they soon stop producing lactase as they get older and no longer require it. Lack of lactase in the digestive system converts you into being lactose intolerant! So the next time you think of spoiling your kitty with dairy, know that although you may not visibly see their stomach upsets and other internal symptoms of consuming dairy, think again!

Grapes and raisins

Grapes and raisins can cause sudden kidney failure in cats. The cause of grapes and raisins being toxic to cats is unknown and while not all cases result in kidney failure, it's better to be safe than sorry. Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite, abdominal pain and decreased urination are signs to look out for within 12 to 24 hours after ingestion. Keep grapes and raisins out of reach of cats - do not leave them on counter tops or in fruit bowls!

Onions and garlic

Many pet owners like to give their cats left overs or even cook their cats their own meals, but this can be dangerous for your cat's health. A common misconception is that onions and garlic are harmless, even healthy, for cats! The allium plant species (garlic, onions, shallots, leeks, scallions and chives) can cause damage to your cat’s red blood cells and lead to anaemia, no matter whether the product is raw, cooked or powdered. Signs of toxicity include lethargy, weakness, pale gums, red/brown urine, hyper-salivation, vomiting and diarrhea. 

Bones

Cooked bones, especially, pose a threat to cats' digestive systems as the bones easily splinter and shard, leading to serious damage in their digestive system. A splintered cooked bone can rupture your cat's throat and damage their intestines, sometimes with a fatal outcome. In fact, in the wild, cats won't usually bother with bones once the meat has been consumed. Rather avoid giving your cats bones at all, whether they're cooked or raw!

Dogs

Xylitol

Xylitol is extremely toxic for dogs. Baked goods, sweets, bubblegum and certain diet foods contain xylitol as a sugar replacement. While it's safe for us humans, xylitol can cause seizures, low blood sugar levels, liver failure or even death in dogs. Always check the ingredients of a product before feeding it to your dog!

Avocado

Avocados contain a toxin called persin which can cause mastitis, heart failure, and death in dogs. It's found in high concentration throughout the plant (fruit, stems, leaves and seeds), so even growing avocados in your garden can pose a threat to dogs! 

Alcohol

Alcohol has the same effect on a dog that it has on cats. Foods or beverages that contain alcohol are highly dangerous to your dog's system! If your dog happens to ingest alcohol, it may result in vomiting, diarrhea, trouble breathing, tremors, a coma or even death. The severity of your dog's reaction to alcohol depends on the percentage of alcohol contained in the substance; the higher alcohol content, the higher risk of serious damage! So if you were wondering whether or not to 'treat' your pooch to a sip of beer or wine, DON'T! Please be aware that raw dough, if ingested by dogs, also produces ethanol in their body and will result in the same negative effects.

Onions and garlic

Onions and garlic have the same effect on a dog that it has on cats. Many pet owners like to give their dogs left overs or even cook their dogs their own meals, but this can be dangerous for your dog's health. A common misconception is that onions and garlic are harmless, even healthy, for dogs! The allium plant species (garlic, onions, shallots, leeks, scallions and chives) can cause damage to your dog’s red blood cells and lead to anaemia, no matter whether the product is raw, cooked or powdered. Signs of toxicity include lethargy, weakness, pale gums, red/brown urine, hyper-salivation, vomiting and diarrhea. 

Chocolate and caffeine

Chocolate and garlic has the same effect on a dog that it has on cats. While humans can enjoy a slab of chocolate (in moderation, of course), it can be lethal to dogs, especially (but not limited to) when consuming dark chocolate. Chocolate contains an alkaline compound called theobromine which is easily metabolized by humans, but not dogs. Theobromine stays in dogs' bodies for up to 24 hours and because the body cannot clear it out, the toxic build-up leads to illness and sometimes death. Consequences of your dog ingesting chocolate leads to increased heart rate, drop in blood pressure, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, seizures, tremors, coma or heart failure.

Grapes and raisins

Grapes and raisins have the same effect on dogs as on cats. Grapes and raisins can cause sudden kidney failure in dogs. The cause of grapes and raisins being toxic to dogs is unknown and while not all cases result in kidney failure, it's better to be safe than sorry. Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite, abdominal pain, decreased urination and abdominal pain are signs to look out for within 12 to 24 hours after ingestion. Keep grapes and raisins out of reach of dogs - do not leave them on counter tops or anywhere within your dog's reach!

Dairy

Dairy has the same effect on a dog that it has on cats. While your pooch may adore lapping up milk, it's actually much better to feed them good old fashioned water. In order for any person or animal to consume milk, their digestive systems must contain the enzyme lactase. Of course dogs were born with the ability to metabolize dairy in order to feed off their mother's milk, but they soon stop producing lactase as they get older and no longer require it. Lack of lactase in the digestive system converts you into being lactose intolerant! So the next time you think of spoiling your pooch with dairy, know that although you may not visibly see their stomach upsets and other internal symptoms of consuming dairy, think again!

Bones

Bones have the same effect on dogs as on cats. Cooked bones, especially, pose a threat to dogs' digestive systems as the bone easily splinter and shard, leading to serious damage in their digestive system. A splintered cooked bone can rupture your dog's throat and damage their intestines, sometimes with a fatal outcome. In fact, in the wild, dogs won't usually bother with bones once the meat has been consumed. Rather avoid giving your dogs bones at all, whether they're cooked or raw!

Treat your pet the healthy way!

Did you know that most pet foods and snacks are full of preservatives, colourants & other chemicals which may harm your pet's health AND the planet? That's why we have put together a selection of natural and organic food and snacks that are good for them AND Mother Earth too! No more guilt for you with this selection from Feelgood Pets!

Previous post Next Post

Comments

Leave a comment