Feelgood Pets

What to do if your pet has an allergic reaction to a bee sting?

What to do if your pet has an allergic reaction to a bee sting!

Our pets are curious and this could mean an encounter with an insect or bee every now and again. While most dogs and cats will have little reaction apart from pain and irritation, some animals, like humans, are highly allergic to bee stings and as a caring pet owner, it is important to know what to do if your dog or cat is stung by a bee.

How to tell if my pet is allergic to a bee sting?

Severe signs of an allergic reaction to a bee sting will have your pet experiencing the following:

  • A profound swelling of the face, throat, neck and body – sometimes the skin starts to resemble bubble wrap
  • Your pet may start vomiting and will have difficulty breathing – he may even collapse

The above are serious signs of an allergic reaction to a bee sting and call for an emergency visit to your local Vet.

Some pets are not necessarily allergic to bee stings but experience milder signs of a sting. The below signs of a sting are normal and shouldn’t require the help of an experienced Vet.

Mild signs of a normal bee sting in pets

  • The area where the sting occurred might swell slightly and your cat or dog might just lick and chew at the inflamed area. This is your pet’s natural instinct and usually does the trick to heal the sting naturally.

What to do if your dog or cat is stung by a bee

Your first action should always be to try and remove the stinger out of your pet’s skin. You can try to remove the stinger by scraping a credit card across the pet’s skin to flick the stinger out. Do not try to remove the stinger by pinching/pulling it (as you might remove a splinter); this may actually increase the amount of venom that is injected.

There are other natural ways to help your pet heal and deal with their bee sting. By learning these, you will know exactly what to do to help your pet overcome a bee sting as quickly and painlessly as possible.

  1. Your pet may be in shock – it can be a bit of a traumatic experience, so administer some PetCalm – A homeopathic remedy to quickly calm anxious and stressed pets.
  2. An ice pack will help soothe the inflamed area – wrap ice in a cloth and apply it to the stung area.
  3. Aloe Vera is known for its skin-soothing properties. Aloe Vera can be an effective treatment for bee stings. Not only can it help alleviate pain, but it can also help bring down the swelling. We recommend using Totally Wild 24/7 Organic Healing Aloe Gel.
  4. Silverlab Ionized Colloidal Silver Gel with its antifungal and antibiotic properties can also help soothe and heal the sting.
  5. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) can be a very effective solution when treating a bee sting. The ACV can help neutralize the venom in the stinger. Simply soak a cotton ball in ACV and apply it to the area several times until the swelling comes down.
  6. If your pet is experiencing a very itchy skin caused from the sting then Allergy Itch Ease will help relieve the itch and soothe the inflamed skin.

We hope we have helped you to understand exactly what to do if your pet is stung by a bee. If you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always here to help your pet in the best natural ways possible!

Previous post Next Post


Leave a comment