It is completely natural for your pet to munch on some grass every now and again. When dogs and cats lived in the wild, before they become domesticated, they used to eat all kinds of berries and plants. Grass is very rich in folic acid – folic acid assists in producing haemoglobin protein that makes oxygen flow healthily in your pet’s blood, so when your pet eats grass you can assume that they are just enjoying a yummy healthy crunchy salad or wheatgrass smoothie! However, there are some differences between cats and dogs – and pets that eat large amounts of grass on a daily basis may need a closer look!.
Why do dogs eat grass?
If your furry friend doesn’t follow a healthy well balanced diet, they could be craving some plant protein in their daily diet, this is why they tend to eat larger amounts of grass. Their diet could also be making their tummy feel upset and this is why their natural instinct would be to eat grass for some tummy cleansing. If you think your dog could be lacking some essential vitamins and minerals, usually lost in highly processed dog food, we would suggest adding the following to their diet:
- Vondi’s Multi-Vitamin Supplement for Pets – An excellent daily multi-vitamin & mineral supplement for pets.
- Vondi’s Spirulina Sprinkles – An all-round super tonic to improve your pet’s health and well-being. Also known to be an amazing immune booster! Simply sprinkle on your pet’s meals.
- Everypet Formula – Everything your pet needs in a supplement – daily multivitamin, prebiotic, mineral and herbal supplement!
- Canigest – A nutritional supplement for dogs and cats containing prebiotics, probiotics, glutamine, kaolin and pectin. Highly recommended to restore digestive balance after a course of anti-biotic treatment.
- Diatomaceous Earth – A natural worm and parasite repellent. Promotes digestive health and balance in your pet.
At Feelgood Pets we recommend a raw diet. Doggobone frozen pet food can be purchased directly from our store – Unit 6, Westlake Lifestyle Centre, Westlake, Cape Town. Another option (available in store and online) is Grandma Lucy’s Freeze Dried Artisan Dog Food that has the same nutritional benefits as raw food except it is dry – no mess, no fuss, simply add water and voila your pet has a healthy balanced nutritious meal in seconds!
Why do cats eat grass?
Your kitty could be eating grass for the same reasons as your dog - however, cats tend to often cough up fur balls. Sometimes fur balls get stuck deep down in the digestive tract and grass is often eaten to bring on a laxative or vomiting effect so that trapped fur balls can be expelled more easily.
It is very important that your pet eats grass that doesn’t contain harsh chemicals and herbicides. The grass that your pet tends to like to eat should be kept pure and chemical free to ensure that their reasons for eating it can be naturally met. For cats we recommend Kunduchi Super Grass – It is quick and easy to grow! It will help your cat naturally expel fur balls and other indigestible matter. As some cats are hunters it is important to remember that when your cat feasts on prey like a bird the entire contents are consumed – bones, feathers, everything! You can see now how in some cases some parts could be more difficult to digest.
We hope we have helped you answer this very common question that all of us often wonder about. For any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us at Feelgood Pets. We are always here to help and advise the best natural ways to ensure your pet lives a long, healthy and happy life with you.